Direct Marketing Basics
Tested direct marketing basics boils down to three fundamentals.
Follow these rules and you will be light years ahead of marketers who ignore them.
Furthermore, any product or service can be marketed using these tested direct marketing basics.
- Test everything on a small scale.
- Keep what works
- Discard what does not work.
In this way you will avoid costly advertising and marketing mistakes.
If you want to put this kind of hard-boiled direct marketing basics to work in your business a book for you is SCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING.
I’ve been a big fan of this book for years…and recommend it to all my Marketing Direct subscribers.[singlepic id=16 w=320 h=240 float=right]
Among the highlights:
- Test Advertising Campaigns: “Almost any (advertising) question can be answered cheaply, quickly and finally by a test campaign. And that’s they way to answer them — not by arguments around a table.”
- Just Salesmanship:“Advertising is salesmanship. Treat it like a salesman. Force it to justify itself”.
- Good Business:“…most national advertising is done without justification. It is merely presumed to pay. A little test might show a way to multiply returns.”
- Things Too Costly: “Many things are possible in advertising which are too costly to attempt. That is another reason why every project and method should be weighed and determined by a known scale of cost and result.”
- Letter Writing;“Letters to inquirers, follow-up letters, whenever possible they should be tested. Where that is not possible they should be based on knowledge based on tests.”
- Offer Service:” Remember the people you address are selfish, as we all are. They care nothing about your interests or your profit. They seek service for themselves. Ignoring this fact is a common mistake and a costly mistake in advertising.”
Bottom Line: The book is a gold mine of tested direct marketing basics that will change the way you think and act about marketing your business regardless of where you decided to run your ads.
Tested Direct Marketing Basics Updates
Consider subscribing to my newsletter for updates on ways tested direct marketing can help your business grow —especially in this economy.
Also, go here for DMA 2012 response rate reports for lead generation marketing media. Plus this Advertising Age update on B2B phone marketing.
Also, if you do nothing else today click and read this: 7 New Rules for Prospecting In The Age of The Customer